What can you do to prepare for an emergency?
Have a family emergency plan. A family emergency plan will let the members of your family know what to do in the event of an emergency.
- Emergency contact numbers for the members of your family, the police department, fire department, emergency medical services, utility providers, and poison control.
- A map showing the escape routes from your house, and the assembly points so you can find each other after you get out of the house.
- A list of contact numbers for family members and friends outside of the immediate area that can be called in case local telephone systems are tied up.
- The location of your family disaster kit, and the checklist that keeps the contents of the kit up to date.
What should your family have in the family disaster kit?
A family disaster kit will be very important to you in the time right after a disaster. You should get together with your family, and make a checklist of the things that you may need until help arrives, and store the emergency kit in a container like a large plastic tub with a lid.
- A first aid kit and first aid manual
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- A battery powered radio with extra batteries
- Canned or other non-perishable food
- A manual can opener
- A pocket knife
- Bottled water
- Copies of important family papers
- A list of emergency contact numbers
- Important prescription medicines
What are some of the possible types of disasters that may occur in South Carolina?
- Winter Storms